Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Another Anti Mac OSX Lion Article - How To Make Lion More Like Snow Leopard


I am actually shocked, many articles and blog posts are cropping up about how to make Mac OSX LION v10.7 look and act more like Snow Leopard v10.6. I wonder how many people are disappointed with their $30 investment, just to allow Apple to make money and get the OS right by trial and error in a few service packs from now. I changed from a PC to the Mac over 4 years ago. I was and still am a Windows PC System Admin. My experience on the Mac has mostly been positive, and to this point I think a great decision. It seems to be motivated by profit, instead of the noble reasons of making things better for us all. However, during these times when Apple decides it wants to force interface changes or OS changes that really shake the basic core foundation of what computing is all about, I question the decision. I like the Mac OSX because it is based on a very strong underlying UNIX operating system, with normally clean multitasking, and robust well designed applications. I also really enjoy the normal PC mouse and interface, with Windows, that I control, versus Apple controlling them for me. I guess I just like freedom. The Mac has provided me freedom from political decisions in the computer world for 4 years. But LION is a purely political OS decision that strives to force us into an upgrade box that is controlled by the mother ship. I don't like that. I guess I should have expected that from a corporation run by Liberals, which wants to tell it's customers what is best, instead of having the customers tell the company. I can cite many recent decisions in the last year that seem to ignore what we want. Many will say that LION is the future. Maybe on a cell phone or MP3 player, but not on my desktop. I choose to think for myself, and use what I want, when I want to use it. You should also use what you want, and not be forced into upgrades for eye candy sakes. I wonder what will happen when the iPod and iPhone die off, as all things eventually do, and Apple will have to succumb to what the customers want once again. But will the customers care? Microsoft has a HUGE opportunity right now to finish off the Mac. Lets see if they take advantage of this bungle by Jobs.