Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mac OS X Upgrade Leopard - Maybe, But NOT Now.

Hi gang, I have been mulling over the new Mac OS X Upgrade called Leopard from Apple. Sure, it is feature packed, and many of the items are fancy eye candy, and fancy fun applications. Take a look at the very cool Chat program that comes with it, in which you can use any "Weather man" effect and place a scene behind you while chatting. Only thing is that I have been unable to video chat anyone since I went to the mac. It just doesn't work for me. How about the new Finder Bar, has reflective shadows, ohh ahh. I actually like the changes in mail, with the ability to track and enter sticky notes and calendar reminders from mail. But it is not that hard to simply open iCal and enter an appointment. TimeMachine is their cool backup utility, but I already backup my data to an external drive. I just copy what I need, simple! "Spaces" is their multi desktop virtual server, so you can have 4 or many more desktops. Cool, but I never really liked multiple desktops. They are hard to keep track of for me. I can just shrink work and expand what I want in the same window, it is easier. Pound for pound every cool feature is something I really don't need. But here is the kicker! No where did Apple claim that Mac OS X Leopard is gonna run faster. For those of us with slower Macs, even those of you with G5 and G4 Macs, the obvious answer has to be a Big NO! I am sure Leopard will be kool, but unless it makes my computer faster, I don't want any part of it. If you have an old Mac, you may be better off buying a new one with the new OS pre-loaded. I don't like the new iMac as much as my current one. So sadly this user fell off the upgrade train on this one.