Thursday, June 01, 2017

Windows 8.1, is it even Relevant? Part 2

In a recent post to the Blog, I asked wether Windows 8 is even relevant today?  See the post here..   I had repaired a Windows 10 system, and was forced to load the original OS on the laptop, back to Windows 8.  A rootkit had infected the system.  Instead of attempting to clean it out, sometimes it is just best to start over.

So thats what I did!  I wiped the entire system, loaded Windows 8, then patched to 8.1 (the most current version).  Could I have cleaned out the rootkit.  I think so, but wanted to be 100% sure.  I already know that many of the rootkits and trojans dig in so very deep, that cleaning it sometimes also leaves a damaged OS that doesn't run very well.  Windows has its challenges out of the box, so I thought it was best to reload, play it safe, and allow peace of mind for my "customer".  Just in case they do shopping and personal information on the system.

My "customer" so far is very happy (5 months), it runs well, and actually Windows 8 is not half bad when forced to use it.  If you disliked the tiles in Windows 8, and yes, I dislike the tiles.  You must also hate them in Windows 10.  Windows 8 had an entire desktop to utilize, now Windows 10 has sucked the life from the Start Menu, to display the live tiles in the Start Menu structure.  So you only see the tiles when you click the start button.

First, is Windows 8 relevant?  Here is the answer you have all been waiting for.  (Drum Roll) It is actually very relevant.  If Windows 10 would have been deployed properly, it would have killed Windows 8.  BUT Microsoft positioned themselves in such a way, that windows 10 is actually harder to use than 8.  Why?  When you use 10, you expect behavior like Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista.  When you run Windows 8, you expect it to run as Windows 8, unlike any other flavor of OS available today.  Windows 10 gets in its own way and lessens productvity.

Yes it is relevant, due to the abysmal failure of 10.  This doesn't mean I love 8, it just means that each OS has its place.  10 has failed us by not providing a stable OS in which to get work done.  It has been patched to glory with all kinds of vulnerable things abated, and I am sure we will have many years of holes yet to be filled.  You can run Windows 10 in the Windows 8 method, if you wish.  I say just stick to Windows 8 until Windows 25 comes out.  Then, perhaps, the bugs and such in the code will be fixed and properly run well to allow us to utilize the OS as we did before all this Tile envy.

I would prefer to see the Windows Tiles on the desktop, think like Active Desktop, and lets have the Windows start button clear of junk, and fully user configurable, and have the ability to "skin" the Start Menu structure.

Windows 8 will endure, as long as Windows 10 continues to mis-step its way across our desktops.

If you really want something that runs well, got back to Windows 7.  Thats what I am doing.  I plan to eradicate all the free upgrades to Windows 10 that were forced on me, and stick to something that works, and is proven.  Or do what others are doing, use your cell phone or iPad for work, and drop the desktop.

Of course, I do all my real work on a Mac.  Go figure!  Wish I could get OS X for all my PCs, and it all be legal and fully supported.

McAfee may have the best Virus Scan tool out there.  McAfee has dedicated some resources to rootkit removers, and other anti-malware tools that are FREE.  Understand that your purchase of the Virus Scan tool helps to fund this kind of thing, but in the long run, shows that McAfee gets it, and provides this free software to actually help us out of some tough spots.

Grab the tools you need while they last, they could have a change of heart.  They might even be some good utilities you want to keep on a thumb drive, for when you have to clean and fix your Windows system!