Friday, June 15, 2007

I Dropped Konfabulator!

It's true. I dropped Konfabulator, the now Yahoo Widget Engine. The reason is simple. When I use a Widget, I expect that it will remain in the same spot at each boot up. What happened, and I didn't expect was some of my favorite Widgets would move around after each boot up of my computer. In contrast I use the Dashboard Widgets which are combined under Mac OS X, and each time my system is turned on they are rock solid right where I left them, pixel for pixel. Kfab simply must get this fixed. It never used to do that, though it was sort of buggy in the early versions. Since Yahoo has purchased it, I believe that they have dumped all kinds of proprietary code into it, and have somehow mucked with the basic operation of the once cool program. Maybe I will try it again down the road, but for now, it has been removed from my system.

Under the next Mac OS X, Leopard, you can make your own Widgets anyway, so who needs another program eating resources from your computer system.