Monday, February 25, 2008

Apple Crashing Problem Revealed - Leopard Graphics Update

Well right here yesterday I accused iTunes of crashing my iMac. I may have been only partially correct, the underlying issue looks like it was the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. I highly suggest that you pass on this update, and do not install it. It seems that the Graphics update, once removed, allows everything to operate as expected. It took me 1.5 hours to re-install, but I have to admit, it was very easy. Leopard saw my previous install and kept all information, then imported it into the fresh install. I was able to back up to the original 10.5, then I re-patched the system - leaving out the Leopard Graphics Update. Now all works as it should. Not sure what is in that Graphics Update, but it stinks. As I stated yesterday, this has happened a few time over the last year. I am opting out of taking updates right away. I will instead wait a few weeks, maybe then I will install new system wide updates. Application updates should be less difficult, but one never knows. Apple desperately needs a way to back up and remove previously installed updates, much like Microsoft has in Windows.