Sunday, February 24, 2008

iTunes Crashes Again and Again

Well for the second time in a few months, iTunes has been upgraded, and along with that comes some kind of database or iTunes corruption problem. I don't use iTunes frequently, but I do use it to download podcasts. I have also imported some videos and such. So nothing major. BUT I wouldn't trust it to categorize all of my CD music, thats for sure. iTunes was just upgraded to version 7.6.1, and after that, I was unable to view my Podcasts. iTunes would crash and ask me if I wanted to reload or ignore. I reloaded it a few times and after that ignored. I can make iTunes crash at my will. Every time I touch the podcasts link on the left side under Library, it crashes. My only option is to move my iTunes library, and start new. A rebuild won't work. Anyway, I move the library, and it starts to work fine. But the hassle is anything I imported in the old library, now has to be moved or copied over to the new library. Not only that, but Coverflow is still causing it to crash. My custom artwork has to also be copied or imported new. This major problem happened before a few versions back, and a week later a new version was quickly thrown out to fix the problem. I am running Mac OS X 10.5.2, on an Intel iMac. This should not happen at all. Apple is supposed to be this great software company. I ask, do they even test their software upgrades? I have complained before, Apple needs to provide a method for removing patches and upgrades, a sort of rollback feature.

This is not the first time Apple has sent out buggy patches. My old Intel Mac got the audio noise bug from a software update in 10.4. I think I will no longer upgrade software as soon as patches become available. I may opt out for a few weeks to see what happens in the Mac community before accepting any future upgrades to Apple software.